Announcement:

IPL 7 starts from 16th April, 2014 to 30th April, 2014 in UAE

Sunday, January 4, 2015

David Warner Prepares for Emotional Return to SCG




David Warner Hughes cry

File photo: David Warner (right) unable to control his tears while walking out of the hospital where Phillip Hughes was admitted after being hit by a bouncer.


© AFP



Six weeks after Phillip Hughes was fatally struck by a bouncer, Australian opener David Warner is unsure how he will cope with an emotional return to the SCG for the fourth and final Test against India starting on Tuesday. (Phil Hughes' family to attend SCG Test)


Warner said it will be tough to hold back emotions at the SCG after watching Hughes sustained a blow to his neck in a domestic Game in November last year that led to his death. (SCG to honour Phil Hughes with bronze plaque)


"This Test I honestly can't tell you until I go out there and sing that national anthem and walk out there," Warner said. (Dhoni has done a 'wonderful job' as Team India captain: Michael Clarke)


"At the moment, not just for me but for the guys that were there (when Hughes was struck) as well they are putting on a brave face," said Warner. (Virat Kohli's aggression adds spice to Sydney Test)


Teammates Brad Haddin, Nathan Lyon and Shane Watson were fielding at the SCG when Hughes was fatally struck on his neck on November 25 that led to his death two days later. (Injured Mitchell Johnson ruled out of Sydney Test)


Warner admitted that it will be difficult not to think about the incident while playing the Test. (India should play five bowlers at SCG: Ian Chappell)


"It is going to be emotional. I know when I go to face up at that Randwick End, I'm going to be looking down at that spot. It's going to be tough but I've got to try and hold back the emotions and do what I do for the team and try and score runs. (MS Dhoni joins Team India's training session in Sydney)


"Just walking out there today (for training), just brought back memories. We came out here for training today and yesterday was okay but I was just standing out there just before talking to a friend of mine and just talking about the incident and know where I was fielding and now every time I go out there to field it's going to be in the back of my mind, whoever we're playing," said the 28-year-old opening batsman.


Warner said while the recent birth of daughter Ivy with his partner Candice Falzon has helped bring a sense of calm and perspective to his life, it has also enabled him to develop a keener understanding of what Hughes's devastated family are enduring.


"It's helped me a lot (to cope) now that I've got a daughter, and every time I go home I've got a big smile on my face to see my fiancee, Candice, and my daughter Ivy," he said.


"It would probably have been a little bit different, I can feel now with having Ivy how much hurt and pain Hughesy's family is going through. I can't put myself in their shoes but the heartache they are feeling, it's going to be hard for them to come down and watch this Test. And it's just a hard thing for me to fathom what they're going through at the moment."


Australia are without bowling spearhead Mitchell Johnson because of a hamstring problem but will be boosted by the news that Warner has recovered from thumb and arm injuries. He was hit on the thumb during the second Test at the Gabba and took a blow on his forearm while practising before the drawn third Test in Melbourne.


"I'm fine, I'm ready to go, the arm is sore but I just have to play through that pain like I did for the last game," said Warner, who has not scored a fifty in four innings following his twin centuries in the first Test.



Share it Please

Shweta Pandey

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright @ 2013 IPL 2018. Designed by Templateism | Love for The Globe Press