Announcement:

IPL 7 starts from 16th April, 2014 to 30th April, 2014 in UAE

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

In and out of Pakistan Team, Shoaib Malik Dreams of World Cup Berth





Malik hopes he will get a fair chance if selected to play for Pakistan.


© AFP



Shoaib Malik feels it was time he got his fair share of chances and said his aim was to play for Pakistan in the ICC World Cup in Australia and New Zealand early next year.


Malik, who has played 216 ODIs for the 1992 world champions is currently in India, playing for Australia's Hobart Hurricanes in the Champions League Twenty20. While the former Pakistan captain hasn't set the stage on fire, an unbeaten 45 off 22 balls was key to the Hurricanes' victory against Northern Knights on Tuesday.


Malik has never been a permanent feature in the Pakistan line-up but with the Pakistan Cricket Board cracking the whip on unfit players and fining T20 captain Shahid Afridi over fitness issues , there is a realistic chance Malik may get a chance to make the World Cup cut.


However, the middle-order batsman does not want to leave anything to chance, and if selected, Malik intends to have a word with the captain and plead his case for a longer run.


"I have been playing cricket regularly for Pakistan over the past three to four years but have been in and out of the team many times," Malik told CLT20.com.


"I get picked, play a few games and then get dropped again, which has been happening with me for quite some time now. This time if I get picked, I would want to have a word with the captain, the selectors and the team management that I would want to have my fair share of chances. If I get my chances I am sure I will play consistently for Pakistan," said Malik, who is married to Indian tennis star Sania Mirza.


For a man who once led his country to being relegated to the sidelines must be tough. However, Malik admits he is used to comebacks now and he will play on till the time he is ready for a farewell.


Malik is obviously keen on playing in the World Cup but he also wants to play some international cricket before that.


"I know there is a lot of talent in the current Pakistan squad. But if the selectors want to pick me for the World Cup, then they have to pick me now. I want to play a little bit before the World Cup campaign. It is good to have some competition. But I know they will get their opportunities and I will get mine."


For now however, Malik is playing the waiting game, rather well. He has been busy trying to make an impression for Hobart and treating Pakistan cricketers representing Lahore Lions to biryani at wife Sania's residence in Hyderabad .



Share it Please

Shweta Pandey

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright @ 2013 IPL 2018. Designed by Templateism | Love for The Globe Press