Announcement:

IPL 7 starts from 16th April, 2014 to 30th April, 2014 in UAE

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Everyone deserves second chance: Viru


NEW DELHI: Virender Sehwag has been away from international cricket for more than a year now and it's easy to forget that for over the last decade or so, he was the most feared opening batsmen in world cricket. Now 35, Sehwag doesn't have age on his side. His slowing reflexes and fading eyesight too have caused him problems. The pile of scores has run dry even in the domestic arena.

Can Sehwag make yet another comeback into the national side, or is one of the most explosive openers of the modern era considering retirement? "Quitting the game is farthest from my mind at the moment. I still believe that I have 2-3 years to give to Indian cricket," Sehwag, who is preparing to take fresh guard with Kings XI Punjab, told TOI on Tuesday.


"I think there is hope for everyone and everybody deserves a second opportunity. I have been really working hard on my fitness in the gym and trying to hone some of my batting skills to prepare for IPL. The focus has been to watch the ball right from the bowler's hand. I have been struggling to pick the ball up early enough and I'm trying to improve that," Sehwag said.


The veteran of 104 Tests struggled all season with the Delhi Ranji team. Sehwag played in seven games for Delhi and only managed 234 runs at an average of less than 20, with just one half-century. Delhi Daredevils lost faith in Sehwag and when their former skipper went up for auction for the first time, Kings XI showed faith in Sehwag's ability and picked him for Rs 3.2 crore.


"I have no ill-feelings towards the Daredevils management. It was a completely professional decision and I was lucky enough to be picked by Kings XI. The Punjab team looks good this season and I am looking forward to meeting up with the new team and management," he said.


Asked how different it will be to turn out in Kings XI colours at his home — Ferozeshah Kotla — he said, "I have been an India player for many years. I have played all over the country including Kotla and Mohali. I have fan following all over the country and they will cheer for me no matter which team I am representing."


Kings XI have plenty of quality players in their lineup including skipper George Bailey, David Miller, Mitchell Johnson and Glenn Maxwell. Sehwag said the best thing about the outfit this year was the number of match-winners in their ranks. "In T20 cricket, you need players who can win you the match even single-handedly. I was lucky enough to do that till even last year for the Daredevils. We have a lot of such players in the side," he felt.


The first half of the IPL will be played in the UAE and Sehwag believes heat will be a major concern. "The first half of the tournament will be in UAE and it'll be very hot. The temperature rises to close to 47 degrees in April, which will be hard to deal with. However, the good thing is that most of the tournament is staying in the subcontinent and we won't have to adjust our tactics a lot," Sehwag, who will also be expected to fulfill the role of a mentor in the Kings XI side, said.


Asked about his goals from this year's IPL, Sehwag said, "There is only one goal for me — opening the batting and scoring as many runs as possible. If I can do that it'll not only be good for me, but will help my team win."






Share it Please

Shweta Pandey

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright @ 2013 IPL 2018. Designed by Templateism | Love for The Globe Press